Some Facts About Paper Wasps?
Do you require North Brisbane pest control services? Creepy crawlies come in a multitude of shapes and sizes, but they usually have one thing in common – they’re capable of causing damage, irritation, pain / discomfort, and significant inconvenience to human beings and their property. They also seem to enjoy showing up where they are least wanted!
Why Paper Wasps Do What They Do
Australia in particular is home to a number of these insect invaders. One such example worthy of warranting North Brisbane pest control is the paper wasp. While most Australians grow up aware of paper wasps and their stings, here are a few useful facts and details you may not be familiar with.
- Where they live: Paper wasps will settle in to appropriate sites in urban areas, scrub, forests, and woodlands.
- What they eat: Adult wasps consume nectar, whilst catching caterpillars to feed their larvae. They are actually a helpful force when it comes to keeping garden caterpillar pests under control!
- Why they will attack: Despite the painfulness of their stings, paper wasps typically only attack humans if / when their nests are disturbed – they are considered less aggressive than European wasps. However, it is best to call on your North Brisbane pest control specialists to remove the nests if they are located in proximity with individuals who are highly allergic to bites and stings. Better to be safe than sorry!
- Nests: Paper wasps create their nests by chewing wood fragments with saliva, resulting in a papery, soft material that is formed into cup-like cells. This is the basis of the comb, which attaches to the host surface. Did you know that nest design differs depending on the unique species of paper wasp?
- Native vs introduced: Approximately 35 species of native paper wasps inhabit Australia, and are located all throughout the country with the exception of Tasmania and the far south-west area of Western Australia. Tropical Queensland can lay claim to the highest number of paper wasps species, hence the benefits of services such as North Brisbane pest control! Several introduced paper wasp species have made their home here also, including two types of the European paper wasp variety.
North Brisbane Pest Control Services for Your Home and Property
Sunshine Pest Management are professional pest and termite specialists with more than 2 decades of industry experience under our belts. We are pleased to provide North Brisbane pest control, and also service everywhere through Caboolture, Wamuran, and the Sunshine Coast.
Thinking of getting in touch but want to know what exactly we offer? Whether it’s North Brisbane pest control or elsewhere, our services include:
- Termite inspection plus additional prevention advice unique to each property
- Termite treatment
- Inspection and treatment of ants, fleas, bedbugs, cockroaches, silverfish, spiders, rodents, and bees / wasps
You can rest assured that when it comes to your North Brisbane pest control needs, Sunshine Pest Management have got you covered! Simply call 1800 626 841 to speak to our team of pest control specialists, or get in touch online.
image source: Krzysztof Niewolny